Briefer on the status of the Buendia-EDSA bus bombing investigation, January 28, 2011
The following are salient points of the January 28, 2011 press briefing by Presidential Spokesman Edwin Lacierda; PNP Director General Raul Bacalzo; NCRPO Director Nicanor Bartolome; and National Security Adviser Cesar P. Garcia held at the New Executive Building, Malacañang, Manila:
Based on a reconstruction of the fragments, the explosive devise was identified as an 81-millimeter mortar round.
The triggering mechanism was modified from a Nokia 5310 cellphone.
No one as of yet has claimed responsibility.
The following are composite illustrations and computer renderings of persons of interest that may be connected to the bombings based on the testimony by witnesses.
The Philippine National Police are currently performing Target Hardening Efforts composed of the following action points:
- Increasing police visibility in strategic areas
- Increasing coordination with private security agencies
- The deployment of bus marshals
- Organizing baranggay peace keeping action teams
- Augmenting security at vital installations
- Increasing intelligence gathering and fusion
- Issuance of transportation advisory to transport stakeholders
- Inspection of vital installations
Furthermore, the PNP will implement the following long-term preventive measures:
- Installing CCTV cameras in all transport utilities and
- Installing additional CCTV cameras in major thoroughfares in Metro Manila
- Developing security consciousness among the public
A reward of P1,000,000 has been put out for information leading to the bus bombers.
The following are the pertinent contact numbers for information or assistance:
NCRPO: 838-1505 / 838-3203
PNP HQ: Txt 2920
0917-8475757 (CPNP complaint unit)
You may also email: email@example.com
Prepared on January 28, 2011